Friday, November 27, 2009

With a Little Help from My Friends...

I have a bit of a problem here. Take a look at the numbers below and see if you can figure it out:
1960s - 170
1970s - 604
1980s - 586
1990s - 387
2000s - 534

The left column is a decade in music. The right column is the number of albums I've reviewed/rated from that decade. I expected the 1960s to be on the low side, and I'm working on them, but I don't ever think the numbers will rival those of the other decades.

The 1990s, on the other hand, are unexpectedly low. I believe this is due to the popularity of certain musical genres prevalent during the decade, such as grunge, alternative metal, nu metal, and alternative rock. As I've explained, I generally don't like these genres and have few, if any albums by those bands. Just to be perfectly clear, don't expect to see much of the following bands rated here:

Alice in Chains, Bush, Hole, L7, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Biohazard, Godsmack, Kid Rock, Korn, Limp Bizkit, P.O.D., Rage Against the Machine, Sepultura, Slipknot, Soulfly, Staind, System of a Down, Therapy?, Tool, Type O Negative, White Zombie, Candlebox, Foo Fighters, Green Day, Incubus, Live, Nine Inch Nails, Offspring, Primus, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer

This is where you come in. I'd like to find new (to me) bands and albums from the 90s that fall into my musical comfort zone; that is hard rock, traditional heavy metal, and prog and power metal. If you have any thoughts or suggestions, post a comment here or in the chat box.

No comments: