Thursday, November 26, 2009

Living In the Past...


As posts are added, we get further and further from the raison d'être (look at me, getting all fancy!) for this blog, which was explained in the first post, From the Beginning....

For those of you who missed it, which as far as I can tell is everyone, I want to provide a brief summary of what I'm doing here, and also invite you to check out the full-blown (but not long-winded -- does that sound odd to you too?) original post. 

I started this because I don't believe standard rating systems (1 - 10, 10 - 100, etc.) are very accurate, or that a perfect score is possible. I've never found an album that I love from beginning to end. Even my favorite albums have fillers or maybe part of a song that isn't fantastic, like a weak intro, bad solo, etc.

So I came up with something a little different. I not only rate each song on an abum, but I also take into account song length*. As a result, my ratings don't reflect how much I like the album; instead, they reflect how much of the album I like.
*I explain the importance of considering song length, as well as provide an example, in the From the Beginning... post.
For now, I'm limiting my ratings to studio albums only. Also, although I like a lot of styles of genres of rock and metal, there are some I don't care for (such as Grunge, Nu Metal, Black Metal, Death Metal and others) and will not generally collect. Therefore, it wouldn't be fair to rate these types of albums as they would most likely receive low ratings.

As always, if you have any questions, comments, thoughts, suggestions, requests, etc., post a comment here or in the chatbox.

No comments: