Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Let the Music Do the Talking...

As I create and post my lists, I sometimes find myself at odds with the ratings. I'll look at an album that I know I like a lot and wonder why it's not rated higher. But that's an emotional trap that I need keep reminding myself to avoid. Remember, the idea behind my ratings is to be objective, not subjective. I'm evaluating the entire album, not just my favorite songs off the album. Sometimes it's difficult to avoid placing too much emphasis on those favorite songs, and I have to admit I've occassionally tweaked some ratings to satisfy an emotional attachment to an album.

I don't intend for anyone, including me, to get caught up in the numbers. They're a guide, a compass, pointing you in the direction of music I like, and by extension (if you're reading this), music I think you'll like.

I have some books on music reviews* that I found to be invaluable when looking for new bands or albums. Their value lies in the fact that my tastes are similar to the author's. When I bought the books, I immediately read about albums I have and like a lot, and about albums I heard and didn't like. I figured if the author has similar thoughts about these albums, then when I read about an unfamiliar album, I can trust his judgement. Did I agree with all of his reviews? Of course not. But I agreed often enough to use them to discover a lot of new, excellent music.
* "The Collector's Guide To Heavy Metal Volume 1: The Seventies" and "The Collectors Guide To Heavy Metal Volume 2: The Eighties" by Martin Popoff.
This is how I hope you'll use my blog: Check out the ratings. If they're in the same ballpark as albums you like (or hate), then our tastes may be similar. And if so, maybe you can use the ratings of unfamiliar albums to discover your own new, excellent music.

No comments: