Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Top Albums - Diary of A Madman

Ozzy Osbourne - Diary of A Madman (1981)
Rating: 90.22
Overall Rank: 64



Ozzy returned to the hard rock/metal scene in a big way in 1980 with his first solo album, Blizzard of Ozz*. It was a great album with many songs getting regular airplay on the radio. And like many of my friends, I climbed aboard the crazy train and enjoyed the ride.
*This was my first concert (August 16, 1981 at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, Maryland). Def Leppard opened, but not surprisingly, Ozzy and Randy Rhoads (R.I.P.) ruled the stage. I had 10th row seats in dead center, and I still remember how ungodly loud it was. My ears rang for two days following the show. My memory of the individual songs is hazy (it was over 28 years ago, after all), but thanks to the magic of the internet, I found a nice sounding bootleg of the show. Now I'll be able to relive my first concert whenever I like (although probably not as loud as before).
Diary of A Madman came out the following year, and holy shit, it was even better than Blizzard of Ozz! From the opening notes of Over the Mountain to the closing chants of the title track, I listened to the album repeatedly. Half the album -- Over the Mountain, Believer, S.A.T.O.* and Diary of A Madman -- are Desert Island songs (exceptionally few albums I've rated have that many Desert Island songs on one album). Two other songs, Flying High Again and Little Dolls, are excellent and belong on any "Best of Ozzy" collection. Unfortunately, the slower, ballady songs, You Can't Kill Rock and Roll and Tonight, bring down the mood of the album ever so slightly, which affects the overall rating. But, because of their popularity, I wouldn't argue that they don't belong on a Best of collection.

Here are my individual song ratings (the ratings key is at the end of the post):
1. Over the Mountain - 6
2. Flying High Again - 4
3. You Can't Kill Rock and Roll - 3
4. Believer - 6
5. Little Dolls - 4
6. Tonight - 3
7. S.A.T.O. - 6
8. Diary of A Madman - 6
*This song was originally titled Strange Voyage, but was changed after original bassist Bob Daisley left the band. There are a few interpretations floating around, including "Sail Across the Ocean," "Sundays and Thursday¹s Only" or that it's Sharon Osbourne's initials (Sharon Arden Thelma Osbourne). However, Daisley claims it means "Sharon Adrian Thelma Ozzy," which refers to Sharon and Ozzy and their respective boyfriend and wife at the time.
One last thing... I would be remiss in not talking about the controversy surrounding this album (and Blizzard of Ozz). Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerslake (of Uriah Heep fame) were original band members on both albums (even though Rudy Sarzo (bass) and Tommy Aldridge (drums) were credited on Diary of A Madman). In 2002, Daisley and Kerslake filed a $20 million lawsuit against Ozzy and Sharon for compensation and credit for their songwriting contributions on the albums. Although the lawsuit was dismissed, the record company released remastered versions of the albums which contain re-recorded bass and drum parts by Robert Trujillo and Mike Bordin, respectively. Although fans and critics denounced the move, the changes remain in place.

It goes without saying that I recommend this album, but please, do not contribute to the travesty of the remastered versions. Yes, I bought them in 2002, but after listening to them once, I immediately sold them and re-bought the original albums. Do yourself a favor and find and purchase the originals. The remasters come off as little better than cover albums, similar to bands with new members who re-record classic albums. They're never as good as the originals.

Ratings Key:
0 - Hate It
1 - Dislike It
2 - It's Ok
3 - Like It
4 - Like It A Lot
5 - Love It
6 - Desert Island Song

No comments: